Bridging the Digital Divide for Blind and Low Vision Indic Language Speakers
- Same quality of education for the visually impaired as for people with sight
- Open doors to all professional employment and business opportunities
- Empower people with visual impairment to become productive members of society
- Less than 10% of blind children in India get any formal education.
- 90% of people with visual impairment (VI) live below the poverty line.
- Education is key to economic empowerment.
- People with visual impairment must be able to access (read) digital information without printing it in braille which requires access to a Braille Embosser.
- Text to Speech software allows visually challenged people to read digital media (email, documents, websites, e-books, etc.) just as people with sight do without printing it. (TEDx talk)
- Open source Text to Speech software for Indian Languages that runs on low cost Smart Phones and Tablets allows access to digital content.